The legal will work together with the movement of the Maduvalasa submerged villages, keeping in view the pathetic state of rehabilitation and the various legal options available for the oustees as stated above.
Some of its immediate tasks will be:
• Find out the total land asked by the irrigation department – wet and dry – for the project.
• Land acquisition has been ongoing for 20 years. Substantial information is not there with everyone. Data collection from land acquisition office on the status of each family is important.
• Find out how much of land was taken in advance without the acquisition proceedings suomotto.
• To what extent was compensation paid to each family. How many people have filed cases for enhancement and referred to court. How many cases still pending with land acq. Office for enhancement.
• Advise on and help with legal aid to title disputes between small and big farmers and individual versus instititutitions. For example in Kotisa village 150 acres of land is being claimed by Endowment dept which 70-80 small farmers are cultivating.
• In some cases Lower courts have given enhancement but the govt has gone to high court to nullify that. Work towards making the govt. withdraw this case.
• Geetanapalli, Nukalavada, Kotapeta, some blocks of Patwardhanam were land acquisition has not yet occurred need legal guidance.
• Filing and follow-up of cases already filed.
• Basis for filing a writ to challenge the project and/or to ensure rehabilitation.
• Legal cell office will work as a liason with NGOs, parties, shelter for displaced when they are coming to land acquisition office.
• Collect data on D-format patta lands and prepare writ on enhancement as well as non-adherence to GO.