i. people-centered (i.e. work with the people based on their local needs, wisdom, resources and skills)
ii. have a built-in feedback mechanism, through which the users of the technology can constantly innovate and modify technologies to address problems they encounter
iii. train the users of the technology in the maintenance of the equipment
iv. train local carpenters and metal workers in making spare parts using local materials
The kind of research and development that the centre will take up research on, development, monitoring and improvisation of
· suitable dead weights to generate required torque (power to twist) for operations like mixing, squeezing and other intermittent operations.
· suitable alternators and dynamos to generate electricity for the village industries.
· how these can be used with suitable gear boxes and engineering mechanisms like hand-pounding and hammering, to heat electric ovens for intermittent applications like in baking, microwaving, electrical cooking.
· other technologies like water harvesting, low-cost housing, other sources of renewable energy, composting, etc.
· constant monitoring, trouble-shooting and innovation