The following salient features of the place and background make it ideal for setting up of the forestry course
* B R Hills has rich bio-diversity and it is located at the confluence of Eastern and Western Ghats.
* Tribal people, by intuition have rich forest knowledge and wisdom. They have a culture and such intrinsic qualities that closely relate to Nature and makes it easy for them to absorb the spirit. Tribal students are extremely interested in forestry. Ultimately this results in conserving forest.
* VGKK is located in a forest area; practical lessons can be done with ease. The institution is well equipped with infra-structure such as building, lab, herborium and Ethno Medicinal Forest with an experimental plot of 15 acres.
* Majority of people do depend upon forestry; about 60% income of many tribals depends on collection of NTFP (non-timber forest produce)
* Tribals will shine in their subject of interest and will do better than any other group.
* The people being very poor, it would help to get better jobs in forest work than serve only as labourers.
* The forestry course will enlighten the tribals about forest policy, land regulations, conservation etc.
* The tribal knowledge can be made use of for the humanity.
There are already JOC courses in Engineering, Agriculture, Horticulture etc. in the state but no forestry course anywhere in the country.