Shibu in his last year has been very actively involved in conservation projects, and continues to be associated with Thanal. Since 2003, he has been involved with the zero waste kovalam project, that aims at alternatives to incinerators and landfills, and generate livelihoods based on recycling and reusing the waste products.
The idea is to setup small community based centers where waste is processed within the community.
Some salient achievements during 06-07
1. Shibu hosted the Waste Not Asia conference in Thiruvananthapuram (Jan 14-18)
2. Initiated publication of a comprehensive handbook on waste management.
3. Successful in governement campaigns to bring about a ban on plastics below 30 micron.
4. President of India released the Action Plan for achieving "Waste Free Kerala", recognizing the initiatives of Zero Waste Kovalam and incorporating the zero waste ideas in the guidelines.
5. Zero Waste Kovalam has been recognized by the Kerala governement as the model project to be followed.