Over the years, Loknaad team has written more than 50 songs, given more than 250 presentations reaching out to more than 2.5 lakh people. In 2005, Loknaad received the prestigious Sanskriti award for its outstanding social contribution.
1) Vinay, then a post-graduate student of Indian Institute of Management wrote the song “Mandir–Masjid” after communal violence in Ahmedabad in 1985. He also composed it and began singing it for peace efforts. This is the origin of, a simple and haunting song that soon became India’s secular anthem and reached various parts of the country and across the borders in no time.
2) In 1992, Charul and Vinay started Loknaad (People’s Voice) as people’s expression forum, with the improved urge to understand the language, different cultural forms, people and communities of Gujarat, culture of Gujarat, which contextualise their songs.
3) In 1994, Vinay undertook a 500 km. long cycle yaatra of Saurashtra coastal region to meet various ethnic communities, to understand the people’s lives closely, while Charul began her research work on the ‘invisible’ displacement due to development in various parts of Gujarat.
4) In 1996, Charul and Vinay wrote the song “Mare Gam Naave Pani” (Water is not coming to my village) on the issue of water scarcity in Kutch, Gujarat, which gained popularity among the farmers and others.
5) In 2000, based on the real incidents of social and communal violence in India, Loknaad launched samll peace campaign “Insaan Hain Hum:Lakeeron Se Banti Insaaniyat Ke Naam”. An audio-cassette (Hindi: 60 min.) was released which is an appeal to say no to violence and hatred within and across the borders. It included song posters, stickers, calendars and a 2 hour ‘Insaan Hain Hum’ performance module.
6) Since its release, there have been more than 150 presentations of this program across the country. The organizers and audiences include schools, colleges, institutions, citizens’ forums, professionals’ bodies, executives, business people, human rights/ women/secular organizations. Insaan Hain Hum has motivated various schools and groups all across country to conduct different programs on this theme, such as
a. Many schools use IHH songs as prayer
b. Many students have been singing IHH songs in song competitions and many of them won prizes.
c. Many teachers have been using Mandir Masjid and some other songs in their teachings.
d. Insaan Hain Hum – Mt. Carmel School’s annual day programme and painting event on this theme. (2000)
e. Insaan Hain Hum Yatra by college students in Pune (2001)
f. Muzrim Kaun? - A play written, directed and played by the students of St. Xavier School, Gandhinagar. The script was woven around IHH songs. (2001)
g. IHH tapes have been put in the Petlad1 Public Library for circulation and is in good demand among the readers. (2001)
h. Insaan Hain Hum – painting event at Mira Model School, Delhi (2003)
i. Insaan Hain Hum – 3 hour long cultural event put up by the students of Apeejay School, Delhi depicting the evolution from Big Bang to Iraq bombing using IHH songs. (2003)
j. In 2003, Concerned Citizen''s Forum of Godhara had organized a competition on communal harmony songs among the school and college students in which maximum entries were of IHH songs.
k. Some college students in Varanasi began working with child labourers.
7) Chhoti Si Asha: Voice of Hope, Voice of Peace, a daily radio program started in March 2002 after Gujarat violence on Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Baroda and Surat Vividhbharati and later it became weekly which went on till mid June 2002.
8) Related to People’ Campaign
a. Mare Zer Nathi Aapvu (I do not want to poison) (2002), which became theme song for the organic farming campaign in Gujarat.
b. Janane Ka Hakk (Right to Know)(2004), also known as RTI anthem, which explains the basic concept on Right to Information– an important tool to strengthen the democracy and even go beyond it to raise some of the fundamental issues of not only governance but also of resource sharing.
c. Hathon Ko Kam (2005), a song written for the campaign for Employment Guarantee Act.